Past and Present
A Digital History of Wisconsin Independent Colleges and Universities
add to favorites
page 1 of 9 : (
Admission of Men to Viterbo, 1971
Co-education; Students; Admissions; Male students; Student life
Viterbo's willingness to adapt and change with the times resulted in tremendous growth and development. Viterbo admitted its first laywomen in 1943. Then, in 1971, Viterbo officially became a co-edu
Advertisement for Viterbo College, 1967
Advertising; Public relations; Promotions; Marketing
This advertisement for Viterbo College, part of Viterbo's initial attention to public relations and image advertising, appeared in the East Central edition of the July 7, 1967 issue of TIME magazine.
Aesthetic dance class, ca. 1920
Students; Physical education; Classes; Dance; Student activities; Outdoors; Ripon campus
Ripon College students practice aesthetic dance as part of their physical education class.
Affiliation certificate, Catholic University of America, 1943-1944
Viterbo affiliation; Catholic University of America; Certification; Certificates
The certificate recognizes the affiliation of Viterbo College with the Catholic University of America for the years 1943-1944.
Ariel view of Holy Family College
Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity; Holy Family College; Silver Lake College of the Holy Family; Buildings design and construction
Ariel view of Holy Family Convent in the background along with the city of Manitowoc.
Art students at Mount Mary College
Mount Mary students create ceramics during art class. In 1958, Mount Mary College would host its first Starving Artists' Show, held annually the Sunday after Labor Day (September).
Extra-curricular activities; Student activities; College sports; Athletics; Sports teams; Basketball; Basketball teams; Ripon College; Lawrence University; Rivalries; Gymnasiums; Scoreboards
Ripon College basketball scoreboard depiciting a Ripon victory over Lawrence.
Bergstrom Hall Construction, Mount Mary College, c. 1960s
School Sisters of Notre Dame (SSND), the founders and sponsors of Mount Mary College, oversee the construction site of Bergstrom Hall c. 1963.
Blueprints for the building of Murphy Center, ca. 1941
Murphy Center; Academic buildings; Viterbo campus; Blueprints; Architecture; Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration; Viterbo's founders
Newly named and accredited by the University of Wisconsin, Viterbo College, then housed in the Motherhouse of the Franciscan Sisters (what is today St. Rose Convent), needed its own building in order
Brockway College; Ripon College; East Hall; East College; Ripon campus; Academic buildings
An early sketch of Ripon College, then named Brockway College. The building depicted is currently known as East Hall.
Cadwallader Colden Washburn, ca. 1871
Universities and colleges--History; College campuses; Edgewood campus; Buildings--Wisconsin--Madison; Academic buildings; Washburn family; Governors; Cadwallader Colden Washburn; Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa
Cadwallader Colden Washburn (1818-1882), shown here around 1871, was Governor of Wisconsin from 1872 through 1874. He donated the Edgewood campus property to the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa on Sept
Campbellsport Motherhouse of the School Sisters of Saint Francis, 1874
Universities and colleges--History; Women's colleges--History; Buildings--Wisconsin--Milwaukee; Women's higher education; Motherhouses; Campbellsport Mothershouse of the School Sisters of Saint Francis; Academic buildings; College campuses; Alverno campus; Convents; Saint Joseph Convent; School Sisters of Saint Francis
This print appeared in the "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin," 1874. Depicted is the Congregation of the School Sisters of St. Francis, which was founded on April 28, 1874
Ceremony of Investiture, 1958
Graduations; Ceremonies; Commencements
Viterbo's 1958 graduation ceremony was held in the former gym, located in Murphy Center, the area that is currently the southeast corner of Viterbo's library.
College Hill, 1880s
Ripon College; East Hall; Middle Hall; West Hall; Athenian Hall
Early sketch of Ripon College, depicting the three original buildings and the Athenian Library
Concordia campus, aerial view
Universities and colleges--History; Lutheran universities and colleges--History; College campuses; Concordia campus; Buildings--Wisconsin--Milwaukee; Academic buildings
An aerial view of the Concordia campus in Milwaukee, WI, looking north. Visible Concordia buildings include Wunder Dormitory, Pritzlaff Dormitories, and the Gymnasium Building. Also visible are the
Concordia High school band
Bands (Music); Concordia College; Universities and Colleges-History; Lutheran universities and colleges-History;
High school band, Milwaukee, WI campus, ca 1965. Pictured: Loren Barker, conductor (front left).
Concordia men's chorus.
Men's chorus; Choirs (Music); Concordia College; Universities and Colleges-History; Lutheran universities and colleges-History;
Men's chorus, Milwaukee, WI campus, ca. 1950
Concordia student union, 1965
Universities and colleges--History; Lutheran universities and colleges--History; Buildings--Wisconsin--Milwaukee; College campuses; Concordia campus; Academic buildings
The student union as it appeared during 1965.
Construction of the Fine Arts Center, ca. 1969
Fine Arts Center; Academic buildings; Viterbo campus; Construction
Construction of the Fine Arts Center, probably sometime during September, 1969. The area depicted currently faces Jackson Street.
Creative writing workshop, 1967
Universities and colleges--History; Women's colleges--History; Monastic and religious life of women--History; Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity; Holy Family College; Silver Lake College of the Holy Family; Ruth Mary Fox; Faculty; Students; Female students; Study environments; Homework; Schoolwork
Mrs. Ruth Mary Fox, professor emeritus of the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, is conducting a creative writing workshop at Holy Family College, Manitowoc. She was professor in residence at Edgewoo
add to favorites
page 1 of 9 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^